Wednesday, December 7, 2011
Heart of Haiti Painted Vines Bowl Review and Giveaway...
· Heart of Haiti is a “Trade, Not Aid” initiative launched by artist and social entrepreneur, Willa Shalit, The Clinton Bush Haiti Fund and Macy’s.
· Each item is a one-of-a-kind design and handmade by a Haitian master artisan from raw materials such as recycled oil drums, wrought iron, papier-mâché and stone.
· Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and despite the devastating earthquake, people there are filled with hope and a desire to improve their lives through employment. Options are very limited in this country. The Heart of Haiti initiative is one that espouses “Trade, Not Aid.” In other words, it provides artists with an opportunity to make a living feed their families and pay their children’s school fees. School in Haiti is not free.
· Already, The Heart of Haiti collection has led to employment of 450 artists in Haiti providing financial benefits for an estimated 4,000 to 5,000 people in the country.
· The collection features more than 40 home decor items including quilts, metalwork, ceramics, and paintings. Accessories include vases, candleholders, serving trays, picture frames, mirrors, coasters, necklaces, clutch purses and more! The craftsmanship and technique behind these works of art, ranging from papier-mâché vases to hand cut metal frames & wall hangings, is truly remarkable. The collection is made almost entirely from recycled and sustainable items such as old cement bags, cardboard, oil drums & local gommier wood.
· With the holidays quickly approaching, sharing a 'gift that gives back' is a great way to raise awareness and celebrate artistry and regrowth.
· Heart of Haiti products are available exclusively at 25 Macy's stores around the country and on Macy’s.com. The new collection can be found here. 2011 Fall Collection.
· Most items fall in the range from $25-$60
"Designed and vibrantly hand painted by artist Gerald, it's almost impossible to believe the Painted Vines bowl is made of recycled cement bags. Featuring bright fuchsia and purple leaves and a delicately scalloped edge. Use for decoration or serving dry goods.
•Recycled paper; acrylic paint
•Wipe clean with damp cloth
•Handcrafted in Jacmel, Haiti
•Because each item is a unique work of art, variations in size and color will occur
•Includes a Certificate of Authenticity
•Signed by the artisan"
What we thought: This bowl is gorgeous! It is very unique and since they are handmade, no two are exactly alike. This program is really cool. Instead of just giving those in need money, they can put their talents to good use and feel good about earning the money. It really is a win-win. The fact that the artisans use recycled products is also pretty cool:) If you are looking for a good variety of unique, one-of-a-kind handmade items for gift giving this holiday season, check out the Heart of Haiti products...you may as well be supporting a program that gives back, right? ABCD Diaries gives Heart of Haiti and the Painted Vines Bowl an A+!
Disclosure: ABCD Diaries was given a sample for review purposes only. We were in no other way compensated. The opinions expressed in this post are ours and ours alone.
at 10:26 AM